You may have seen me over here.
I've been a busy bee creating, just like I like to do.
Currently, I am coming down from a lovely weekend with my parents in town.
Is always such a wonderful time,
and usually takes me days (weeks) to get back into my groove.
It is as if they literally fill me up, bring that piece of me (my roots) I left in Oregon, complete the me that has made southern California my home. They are like that missing ingredient. The missing spice. Sure, you can make the cake without it, but when you have it on hand, the cake just tastes so much richer... more complete. They carry with them bits of my past, my future, my DNA, my joy, my memories (both forgotten and not)... basically: my home.
They inspire me to be a better person.
To fix things that are broken.
To take care of myself.
To walk.
To start traditions.
To enjoy this moment.
To work hard every day.
They have always (subliminally and not) taught my siblings and me the importance of building a strong, loving nest. I feel this just by being with them for a few days. They take such great care of what they've got. Including us.
They inspired me to scrub my vintage pots (who knew they were copper under there).
To bake zucchini bread.
To vacuum out all the dust and dirt in our house.
To clean the entire house; top to bottom.
To make dinner for my husband.
To buy treats for people.
To exercise.
To tend to my garden.
To enjoy the sunshine.
To move confidently towards my future.
To replace the lightbulb that was burnt out.
To learn how to use the barbeque.
To treat myself now and then.
To spend time just enjoying life.
To drink coffee in the night time.
To laugh.
To keep fresh flowers in the house.
To not be afraid of the future, or growing older.
So much more..
My Mother: This woman can literally make the most beautiful lemon muffins out of the most sour lemons life gives her. And she will not just make them for you... but for your friends, friends of friends, friends of friend's friends, etc... Just her energy inspires me to not sit on the couch and watch life pass.
My Father: This man can pretty much fix or repurpose anything he can get his hot little hands on. He reminds me not to live in fear, and to boldly enter each day as it comes. His energy just makes me want to laugh, be jolly, not to take life so seriously. (Love how he calls our dog "Till"... the name has stuck)!
There is a sense of wholeness that I receive from my parents presence.
I have no unanswered household tricks (like how to unstick two glasses that are stacked and stuck and that dryer sheets are bad for your dryer), and have more tax info than I know what to do with.
They are also the best dang baby/dog-sitters around. (Who knew they could love a dog)?! They will sit up all night, watching the love story movie marathon on TV because they don't know how to change the channel (and actually enjoy it!), waiting for us to get back from a night on the town... and it will not even phase them. They will go to bed at 2am like teenagers (because we stayed out so late), and will be up and at em again the next day, early bird style, ready to take on the day.
I hope to bring even a portion of that grace and beauty to my future.. I just need to soak it all it. I learn so much from being around them, and enjoy these times together so dearly.
Thanks, Mom and Dad.
Thanks for counting us as your vacation. Forfeiting your week-long, tropical vacation at "Sandals"... for us. For the countless trips to Trader Joe's, the best home-cooked meals we could ask for, the "do you want it? let's buy it for you.." mentality. For stocking our fridges, shelves, hearts, and even cool light displays for our garden.
I could not ask for more.
No comments:
Post a Comment