So, in our attempts to 'socialize' our mostly-human beloved K9, we have decided to commit to taking the little munchkin to the dog park, hopefully every weekend. Matilda Heart (McCloud) DeVries (AKA; Tilly, TT, TTbebe, Bonkers, Goofball, Mama and most recently- MouseKillah) has been a part of our lives about 10 months, and we have noted the spoiling that has occurred. It started slowly, but this dawg is treated like royalty around here these days!
And, as a direct result, she is acting like it! Tilly is a real sweet gal, don't get me wrong... but since I work with kids, I can equate this love-smothering to the parent that isn't willing to leave their child alone, even tho the child needs it and wants it. This includes speaking for their child, completing tasks for the child, allowing the child to literally and figuratively glue themselves to their leg. It may be wrong to relate a dog to a child, but in this family, it's kinda true.
I understand these actions of parents come from the best intentions, just as this has happened with us. Anyway, long story short, I have 'raised' this 'child'... and it is not good. She is scared of Doggie friends and is always looking to us to protect her. Don't get me wrong, she is the most definitely the valiant protector of our home, but is a little anti-social on the trails and at the park. We are determined to change this for the good of our little pet. Then we can plan doggie play dates without worrying about our prized mutt getting into any territorial debates with the other dogs. (Just kidding). We just want a happy dog with a healthy puppy life!
1 comment:
I think I have a perfect play date dog. Donovan has always been pretty timid and has just gotten worse as he's gotten older. They can totally be scared of each other, until they get used to one another. Maybe we can bring them on our next coffee date!
Post a Comment